Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Word wanted

I need an insulting word for a bad scientist.  "Boffin" and "egghead" won't do -- they're anti-intellectual terms for scientists generally, but  I need a term for an incompetant or sloppy scientist.  Something similar to what "hack" is for writers and "quack" is for doctors.




( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Jun. 13th, 2007 01:52 am (UTC)
I hate it when the right word won't come. I can't think of anything offhand but I will point you toward one of my favorite writing tools, the reverse dictionary.
Jun. 13th, 2007 02:42 am (UTC)
Thank you, that was quite helpful. I'm thinking of doing something with "crank" or "alchemist", but both of those suggest strongly held mistaken beliefs, rather than doing a job badly, deliberately or otherwise. I may just use "hack" and hope it carries over.
Jun. 13th, 2007 02:43 am (UTC)
You're looking for something that connotes incompetency, not ignorance. I wish I had one for you.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )