Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

First look at new home: argh.

Well, the first look at my new home, now that it's unoccupied, was sure to be an anticlimax.
  • I went there with a friend, and when he tried to open the microwave (over the stove), the handle came off in his hand.  
  • The two bedrooms have multiple BIG bright yellow dog-pee stains on the carpet.  Many of them.  Since they're completely new to me, I can only assume the seller had furniture over them before. 
    • I think that was a bit underhanded. 
    • Now I'm going to have to replace the carpet or invest in throw rugs.  I can't afford the former, so I'll probably do the latter on the cheap, at least until I learn how Jack will react to another animal's urine in his new home. 
    • If he feels like laying down his own markings, I suppose I might as well wait 'til he's done and then replace the carpet entirely.
    • (Before I lay down any rugs, I will try treating the rug with both rug cleaner and the dog variety of Simple Green Pet Stain and Odor Remover.  No reason to invite cat agitation and retaliatory urination.) 
  • There were two garage door remotes on the counter.  I took one with me and locked all the doors, etc.  When I tried it, it didn't work.  We manually overrode the garage door and confirmed that it still works mechanically, so hopefully the remote I took just has a dead battery.  Still:  a mild argh.   
  • I'm going to have to treat the deck pretty soon, so my friend says. 
  • You know what?  I really want to paint ALL the rooms but the living room, but I'm going to have to settle for one, unless my sister feels really energetic about tearing off wallpaper.



( 10 comments — Leave a comment )
Jul. 2nd, 2011 10:36 pm (UTC)
Well, it's bound to have happened ... but hopefully the Simple Green will help.
Jul. 3rd, 2011 01:12 am (UTC)
The feeling of disillusionment, or the dog pee?

The discoloration is probably there to stay, but hopefully the Simple Green will take care of any lingering odor. I guess I won't know for sure until I see how Jack treats those patches of carpet.

Edited at 2011-07-03 01:13 am (UTC)
Jul. 3rd, 2011 12:08 am (UTC)
Ugh, I hate when all that happens. That's what happens every time I move into an apartment, but you own this place now. Yikes!

I hope it all works out for you!
Jul. 3rd, 2011 01:16 am (UTC)
Thank you! I have a certain "What have I done??" feeling right now. I called my Mom, told her about the problems, and warned her not to let my Dad say anything like, "What made you decide on this place, Nel?" when they come see it tomorrow.
Jul. 3rd, 2011 04:43 pm (UTC)
That's happened to us, twice - not specifically dog pee, just paralyzing buyer's remorse due to horrible unexpected problems. Did we tell you about the trench filled with water in the basement of our first house? And there was so much more ...

It's not really *that* bad a list: you will be there a long time, so if you spend the first year or two (or five) getting everything just right, well, that still leaves you with decades of just-right-ness. And none of those problems are structural, or even likely to be really expensive (in comparison with the cost of the house anyway.) It's just cosmetic stuff. Treating the deck is relatively cheap and easy to do yourself, and won't take that long. Dealing with wallpaper - well, I might rent a steamer and do it all in one go, but maybe not at midsummer. The carpet .... hmmm. It might be worth going to your local Home Depot and paint store to find out what your options are. There's (relatively) cheap sustainably-harvested bamboo flooring that you can have laid down for you, again, relatively cheaply and easily, for instance. And sometimes carpet is cheaper than you'd think.

It might even be worth it going back to your real estate agent - even after the closing - and expressing shock and horror about the carpets. In Ontario, at least, there is a short period in which a small amount of the sellers' money is held in escrow to cover this sort of eventuality. Don't even ask how we know that.

Mainly, congratulations! New house! with only minor problems! That is YOURS! Wow! Yay! and post more pictures when you get a chance, please.
Jul. 3rd, 2011 11:14 pm (UTC)
THANKYOUTHANKYOU for calming me down and giving me some perspective! You're right, all the problems are cosmetic. That automatically makes them much, much cheaper and less urgent to deal with than non-cosmetic problems.

I went back with my parents and S. and we all looked at the place. The stains seemed milder and smaller than I remembered. The garage door didn't initially cooperate, but we figured out that someone (probably me or my friend Matt, from Friday) had pulled the emergency release: it actually worked just fine once it was put back in normal mode. And my Dad took out a tube of SuperGlue and with the help of my Swiss Army Knife, put the handle back on the microwave.

I do like the idea of bamboo flooring very much. I will look into what it will cost to do the various rooms. In the meantime, once the Simple Green : Dog has been laid down, I can live with the stains if Jack can live with any lingering odor.

(Poor kitty! He has no idea what he's in for: 3 days of boarding, and then a totally new home! But, to live is to adapt.)
Jul. 3rd, 2011 11:33 pm (UTC)
You are a GENIUS. Boarding for Jack! Brilliant! All three times we've moved, we've just packed up the cats with everything else and moved them with us. This has worked poorly, all three times: much cat-escaping and kitty-angsting and so on. All of which ends, inevitably, in Bad Smells. So yay boarding! we're gonna do that next time, you bet.

And yay your dad for the super-glue!

Good luck with the move! Let us all know how it goes when you can!
Jul. 3rd, 2011 11:44 pm (UTC)
I think I read it somewhere, as a suggestion, for in-town moves. Given Jack's tendency to make a break for any open doors, it made a lot of sense. There wasn't any place I could confine him that wouldn't have workers going in and out. And the whole thing would be horrible on his nerves.

He's not going to enjoy the boarding, either, but they'll look after him, and since it's at my vet's, I've asked them to do a check-up on him, too. He's a kitty of considerable substance these days (although I only feed him what it says on the bag) and I'm worried about diabetes and kidney problems.

ETA: Know what you mean about Bad Smells. The first time I tried to move a cat from one apartment to another, my God. Just shutting him into a (familiar) room seemed to kick off a complete meltdown.

Edited at 2011-07-03 11:49 pm (UTC)
Jul. 5th, 2011 06:08 am (UTC)
If the carpet stains are still a problem, you might want to see what's under it. We had a hideous green shag carpet in the master bedroom. We were all set to go buy new carpeting or some sort of flooring. But something made us pull up the carpeting first before buying anything. Turned out we had a beautiful hardwood floor. Hubby rented a floor sander and bought some polyurathen (sp?) Anyway, for about $75 and some elbow grease, we have a wonderful floor in our bedroom. We bought an area rug to keep the toes warm when getting out of bed, but that was much cheaper then wall to wall.
Jul. 11th, 2011 09:01 pm (UTC)
Hmm, that's a point. Since these buildings were built as condos in about 1990, I've been assuming that the floor is bare concrete. But I should check for sure.

I love the idea of wood flooring, esp. sustainably harvested or repurposed wood, doubly especially if there's a way to make the flooring water-resistant. Polyurethane, I expect.

(Although, my dining room table was finished with linseed oil mixed with polyurethane, and 15 years later, it's wearing through and definitely isn't water proof. I'll have to consult people about this.)

( 10 comments — Leave a comment )